- 6 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup brandy, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Unsalted butter, for the griddle
- 10 1½-inch thick slices of brioche (large loaf)
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese for garnish
- Berry sauce
- 2 cups raspberries
- 2 cups strawberries
- ¼ cup brandy
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- In a medium saucepan, combine the berries with ¼ cup of the brandy and the maple syrup. Cook over moderate heat until the berries are softened and sauce thickens, about 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the heavy cream, sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon, and allspice. Transfer to a deep pan.
- Cut a 2-inch pocket into the top of the bread.
- Heat a large cast-iron griddle and lightly butter it. Working in batches, dip the brioche in the egg mixture, turning once, until moistened but not soggy.
- Transfer the bread to the griddle and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the French toast to a baking sheet. Top each piece with berry sauce, a dollop of mascarpone, and garnish with powdered sugar.