- 2 ½ cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pre-cooked P.A.N. white cornmeal
- 1 ½ cups (6 ounces) crumbled queso fresco
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 5 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup minced onion
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, stir water and salt together until salt dissolves. Using your fingers, gradually stir cornmeal into the water, adding half a cup at a time. Work the mixture until it forms a soft, moist and pliable dough. Add more water if necessary, one tablespoon at a time.
- Shape dough into a log and cut the log to have workable pieces. Pat each one into a hockey-puck-shaped patty, into 4-inch round dish. Stuff with 1 ounce of queso fresco.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat to 360 degrees. Cook arepas for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer cooked arepas to a plate lined with paper towels to drain until cool enough to handle.
- Husk and rinse 5 tomatillos. Remove stem and seeds from jalapeño.
- Place tomatillos, pepper and garlic in blender or food processor and process until pureed but still chunky.
- Add onions, cilantro, lime juice and season with salt.
- Mix well and serve with empanadas.
- Eat with soul. Cook with pleasure!