- 1/2 head romaine lettuce (about 2 1/2 cups chopped)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 large cob of corn (or 1/3 cup of kernels if using canned or frozen)
- 1/2 cup black beans (drained and rinsed if using canned)
- 4 to 5 grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp salsa
- 20g Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sprig coriander (a few leaves)
- Salt and pepper
- Hot sauce, optional
1. In a small bowl combine the beans, salsa, and corn. I like the crunch of fresh raw corn, but you can use canned corn, thawed frozen corn, or cooked fresh corn. Toss together and set aside.
2. Chop the lettuce, tomatoes, and 1/2 the avocado (since we’re using 1/2 an avocado this will be 1/4 of an entire avocado). In a large bowl combine all the components of the salad, the veggies, bean mixture, and cheese.
3. To make the dressing, combine the following ingredients in a food processor or blender. The remaining 1/4 of the avocado, olive oil, the juice of 1 lime, a few leaves of coriander, 1 tbsp of cold water, salt and pepper. If you like things on the spicier side, add heat with a few dashes of hot sauce. If mixing by hand, smash the avocado first, then add in the ingredients one at a time, finishing with chopped cilantro. Dress the salad just before eating.