For the Marinade:
- ½ cup white miso
- 3 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
For the Skewers:
- 3 cups 1-inch pieces Japanese eggplant (4 to 5 Japanese eggplants)
- 2 cups 1-inch pieces red onion (1 medium red onion)
- ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons toasted white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
1. Make the marinade: In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients.
2. Make the skewers: Place the eggplants in a medium bowl and combine with ⅔ cup of the marinade. Place the onions in a separate medium bowl and toss with ⅓ cup of the marinade. Marinate both the eggplants and onions for 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature.
3. Thread each skewer with the eggplants and onions, alternating between the two and starting and ending with eggplant.
4. Heat a grill to a medium-hot fire or place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the skewers, flipping occasionally, until the eggplant is tender and the skewers are lightly charred all around, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and squeeze the juice from the lemon over the skewers. Transfer to a serving dish, top with the sesame seeds and scallions, and serve hot or at room temperature.