For the Yogurt Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup diced yellow onion (1 small onion)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup whole-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut-infused oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
For the Toasted Hazelnuts:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced
- 1 thyme sprig
For the Salad:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 head radicchio, cut into 8 wedges
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup torn mint leaves, for garnish
1. Make the yogurt dressing: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the onions. Season with a pinch of salt and sweat until translucent and tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, set aside and let cool.
2. While the onions cool, toast the hazelnuts: Wipe the skillet that was used for the onions clean and return to medium heat. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and add the hazelnuts. Cook, stirring often, until toasted, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic slices and thyme sprig, and continue to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Reserve the oil, letting it cool for a few minutes.
3. Once the onions are cool, fold in the yogurt, lemon juice and minced garlic. Strain 1 tablespoon of oil from the toasted hazelnuts and fold into the yogurt. Fold in the mint and set aside. Makes about 2 cups.
4. Make the salad: Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high heat and add 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Season the radicchio wedges with salt and pepper, and grill, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Arrange the grilled wedges on plates and spoon the dressing over. Top with the toasted hazelnuts. Garnish with raisins and mint leaves, and serve.