- 1 sweet potato
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sifted self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- cooking spray
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Wrap sweet potato in aluminum foil.
- Bake sweet potato in the preheated oven until easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk white sugar and canola oil together in a bowl. Add eggs; mix well. Sift flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg into sugar mixture. Slowly whisk water into flour-sugar mixture until incorporated.
- Peel sweet potato; mash into the batter. Fold in 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Reduce oven temperature to 320 degrees F (160 degrees C). Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Heat brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Pour glaze over bread.