This cauliflower and cheese casserole makes a perfect side dish OR lunch. Yield: Serves 2
- 1 head cauliflower, (chopped into florets)
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp flour
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-3 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp Parmesan
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and set aside a small handful, and refrigerate for later use.*
- Toss the cauliflower with olive oil, salt and pepper, and thyme. Roast the cauliflower for 15 minutes until just tender.
- Set aside about 1/2 the roast cauliflower for later in the week. Let it cool, then cover and refrigerate it.** Use the remaining 1/2 for the cauliflower and cheese.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, make your cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a pan. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and stir together to make a paste. Whisk in the milk a little bit at a time, breaking up any lumps. Keep stirring for another minute or two until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Turn off the heat and add in almost all of the cheddar cheese and the salt and pepper. Combine the sauce and the cauliflower in an oven-safe bowl or small baking dish. Top with the last bit of cheddar and the Parmesan. Bake for 5-10 minutes until browned. Reheat before eating.
- Carrot sticks