- 250g brown lentils
- 1 heaped tablespoon ground cumin
- 600ml water
- 1 aubergine, peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 50ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4–6 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml pomegranate molasses
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- fresh ﬂat-leaf parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Pita or taboon bread, to serve
Put the lentils, cumin and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil and then continue to boil for 10 minutes. Add the aubergine, salt and leave to simmer while you cook the garlic.
Set another pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and the crushed garlic and cook for a few minutes until they turn golden.
When the lentils and aubergine have been cooking for about 25 minutes, add the fried garlic and the pomegranate molasses and mix together. Cook for another 5 minutes, then stir through the lemon juice.
Place in a serving bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil, scatter the pomegranate seeds over the top and finish with some parsley. Enjoy with hot pita bread.