- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- 15 curry leaves
- 12g ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 2 sweet potatoes (around 500g), peeled and cut into 2in chunks
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 4 handfuls of curly kale, washed
1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized non-stick pan. Add the mustard seeds and, once they are popping, the chillies and curry leaves. Follow 10 seconds later with the ginger and tomato purée then stir for a minute or so.
2. Mix in the sweet potato and cover with enough water to cover half the spuds. Season and bring to a boil, cover and cook over a moderate heat for 8-9 minutes or until they start to soften.
3. Stir in the tamarind and kale, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Once any excess water has cooked off, adjust the seasoning and tamarind to taste then serve with lentils or your meat of choice.