- 4 chicken breasts, bone in
For the marinade
- ½ medium red onion, roughly quartered
- 15g ginger, peeled
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, half dry roasted and lightly crushed; half ground in a pestle and mortar
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1/3-1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 200g plain full-fat yoghurt
- Salt and pepper
1. Combine the marinade ingredients (except for the whole roasted cumin seeds) and smear under the skin of the chicken. Leave to marinate for at least one hour.
2. Place the chicken, marinade and a small splash of water in a snug baking dish and roast in the middle of an oven at 375C for 25-30 minutes or until the juices run clear when you cut into the thickest part of the breast.
3. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes. Place the chicken on a plate then peel off the skin and discard. Spoon off any extra oil from the surface of the pan juices and create a sauce by stirring in whole roasted cumin seeds and coriander to the remaining liquid. Serve with the chicken, accompanied by sweet potato and spinach.