For the Roast Mushrooms:
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 6 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 rosemary sprigs (whole with stem)
- 2 thyme sprigs (whole with stem)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Butternut Squash Purée:
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 rosemary sprig (whole with stem)
- 1 thyme sprig (whole with stem)
- 1 small (10 ounces) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt, to taste
For the Sauté:
- 1 box Barilla Collezione Rigatoni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces Brussels sprouts, stems removed and leaves separated into petals
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pecorino Romano, shaved, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400º. In a large bowl, toss together the mushrooms, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and thyme, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Lay out the mushrooms evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, tossing them every 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2. While the mushrooms are roasting, make the butternut squash purée: In a small square cheesecloth, arrange the black peppercorns, coriander, cumin, rosemary and thyme, and use butcher’s twine to tie the ends together into a sachet. In a medium pot, add the squash and the sachet, and cover completely with water so it rises to 2 inches above the squash. Season with salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the squash is soft, 15 minutes. Strain the squash, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid, and add to a blender. Blend until the squash is smooth and adjust the consistency with the cooking liquid to medium thickness. Keep warm and set aside for later.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions and set aside.
4. Make the sauté: In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprout leaves and sauté until they are barely cooked, 2 minutes. Toss in the cooked Barilla Collezione Rigatoni, roast mushrooms, lemon juice and zest and cook until the pasta and mushrooms are cooked through, 2 minutes.
5. Spoon the warm butternut squash purée over the bottom of a large serving platter, spoon the pasta over the purée, garnish with Pecorino Romano shavings, then serve.