- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound fresh fettuccine pasta
- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon cut in 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 3 ounces grated Parmigiano- Reggiano, to serve
- Grated nutmeg, to taste
1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Bringalargepotofsaltedwatertoaboil.Addthepastaandcook until al dente, about 2 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving 1⁄2 cup of the pasta water and setting it aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat has rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the butter to the pan and melt until it becomes foamy and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs to the pan and cook, spooning the butter over them, until the whites are crispy and brown on the edges but the yolks remains runny, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a plate and set aside.
- Add the pasta, reserved bacon and pasta water to the skillet and toss until warm and a sauce has formed. Add the lemon zest and pepper and season with salt.
- To serve, divide the pasta among 4 plates and top each serving with a fried egg. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano and grated nutmeg and serve immediately.