For the Pickled Sumac Onions:
- 1 cup finely diced red onion (1⁄2 large red onion)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Tabbouleh:
- 2 cups packed shredded kale 3⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup diced apple (1⁄2 Honeycrisp)
- 1⁄4 cup pickled sumac onions
- 1⁄4 cup pomegranate seeds, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Makethepickledsumaconions:Inasmallbowl,tosstheonions with the red wine vinegar, sumac and salt. Let the onions macerate for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes 1 cup. Make ahead: The pickled onions can be made, covered and chilled for up to 3 days.
- In a separate large bowl, combine all of the tabbouleh ingredients and toss. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt. Sprinkle with more pomegranate seeds and serve.