For the Brussels Sprouts and Squash:
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts (about 30), trimmed and halved
- 2 pounds butternut squash (about one small squash), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 15 sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Candied Walnuts:
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- MaketheBrusselsSproutsandSquash:Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts, squash, apple, shallots and sage leaves. Add the melted butter and maple syrup, and season with salt and pepper; toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the vegetables in an even layer on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Roast, turning occasionally, until the sprouts are golden brown and tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the candied walnuts: In a 4-quart saucepan, pour enough oil to reach a depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil until a deep-fry thermometer reads 375°.
- While the oil is heating, in a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the walnuts and boil for 10 seconds; drain well. In a large bowl, immediately toss the walnuts with the powdered sugar. Transfer the walnuts to a sheet tray and let rest for a few minutes.
- Fry the walnuts until they turn an amber-brown color, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove the walnuts. Transfer the nuts to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Store
at room temperature in a sealed container until ready to use.
- To serve, transfer the roasted vegetables to a serving dish and top with the candied walnuts.