- 1 whole duck
- 1 orange, tested and thickly sliced
- Chinese five spice
- coarse sea salt, to season
For the cabbage salas:
- 1/2 red cabbage, cored and thinly shredded
- 2 big handfuls of watercress
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 orange, tested and segmented
- balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
Put the duck in a large roasting pan and sprinkle with orange zest and generous amounts of Chinese five spices and sea salt> Massage into the skin, then lay the orange slices underneath the duck.
Roast uncovered in a preheated oven at 200C for 20 minutes, then turn the heat down to 180C and cook for further 40 minutes. Remove and baste with the duck fat that has been released in the pan.
Make the cabbie salas by combining all the ingredients, except the balsamic vinegar and oi, in a bowl. Drizzle with balsamic and oil as desired. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and serve with the roast duck.