- 1tbsp olive oil (25p)
- 1 white onion, diced (50p)
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated (10p)
- 5 curry leaves (20p)
- Pinch fennel seeds (20p)
- 2 beef tomatoes, roughly chopped (£1)
- 1 stick celery, diced (20p)
- 1 large carrot, diced (20p)
- 250ml water 200ml coconut milk (70p)
- 100g red lentils (40p)
- ½ bunch coriander, roughly chopped (40p)
- Juice 1 lemon (30p)
1. Fry the onion in a little oil on a medium heat until it is translucent. Add the ginger, curry leaves and fennel seeds and cook for a further 5 minutes.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, celery, carrots, water, coconut milk, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
3. Turn the heat to a gentle simmer and add in the red lentils. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the carrot is tender.
4. Serve into a bowl and garnish with the coriander and lemon juice.