- ½ cup amaranth
- ¼ cup buckwheat groats
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped almonds
- 1¼ cups water, plus more to soak the amaranth
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Flaky sea salt, to taste
- 1 Fuyu persimmon, stem removed, quartered and sliced
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter, crumbled
1. In a small bowl, combine the amaranth, buckwheat groats and almonds, and cover with cold water by at least 2 inches. Refrigerate, uncovered or covered, 8 to 24 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the amaranth mixture. Pour into a small saucepan, along with the water, almond milk, 1 tablespoon of the honey, cinnamon and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Divide the amaranth porridge between two serving bowls and drizzle the tahini and remaining honey over the top (adding more honey if you like your porridge sweet). Sprinkle with coconut butter, top with the persimmon pieces, garnish with flaky salt and serve. Makes 2½ cups of amaranth porridge.