- 10 button mushrooms
- 2 red or yellow peppers, deseeded and chopped into 2cm chunks
- 1 courgette, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 red onion, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 12 ripe vine cherry tomatoes
- small aubergine, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1/3 of a can of coconut milk
- 4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp runny honey
- juice of ½ lime
- a pinch of dried chilli flakes
- a small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
- 2 tbsp unsalted raw peanuts, chopped to serve
- 1 lime cut into wedges, to serve
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp tamari
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted raw peanuts, chopped, to serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
Make the marinade simply by mixing all the ingredients together in a large bowl with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Toss the vegetables in the bowl to coat, then cover with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 minutes so they don’t burn when cooking. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
Thread the marinated vegetables onto metal or wooden skewers, alternating the veg each time.
Place on a baking sheet and cook in the hot oven until cooked through and nicely browned, turning once or twice.
Meanwhile, to make the satay sauce, heat the sesame oil in a non-stick saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the shallot for 6 minutes until softened, adding the garlic for the final minute and stirring occasionally.
Add the coconut milk with 60ml (¼ cup) water, the peanut butter, tamari, honey, lime juice and chilli flakes and simmer for 3–5 minutes until thickened, stirring often.
If you prefer a smoother consistency, tip into a small blender or NutriBullet and whizz.
Serve the kebabs sprinkled with the chopped coriander, chopped peanuts and lime wedges, for squeezing over. Serve the peanut satay sauce on the side for dipping.
I serve these with a green salad and some sweet potato wedges
+ Turmeric Salad with Quinoa