· 30g/1oz butter
· 100g/3½oz button mushrooms, finely chopped
· 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
· 1 tbsp Encona West Indian Original Hot Pepper Sauce
· 1 tbsp dried thyme
· 450g/1lb good quality sausage meat
· salt and freshly ground black pepper
· 450g/1lb ready rolled puff pastry
· 1 free range egg, beaten
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6.
2) Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms until soft. Transfer to a large bowl.
3) Add the Worcestershire sauce, Encona Hot Pepper Sauce, thyme and sausage meat and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
4) Roll the puff pastry out into a large rectangle, then cut into two long rectangles.
5) Place a layer of sausage meat mixture down the middle of each pastry rectangle, then brush each with beaten egg on one edge.
6) Fold the other side of the pastry over onto the egg-washed edge. Press down to seal and trim any excess. Cut each pastry roll into 8-10 small sausage rolls.
7) Brush with rest of egg-wash. (For an additional kick add a few drops of Encona Hot Pepper Sauce to the egg-wash.)
8) Place the sausage rolls onto a baking tray and transfer to the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crisp and golden and the sausage meat is completely cooked through.