CHOCOLATE AND ORANGE SHORT CRUST INGREDIENTS
- 1 11-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
BLOOD ORANGE CURD INGREDIENTS
- 1 tablespoon finely grated blood orange zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter – diced, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
CRÈME FRAÎCHE TOPPING INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons sugar
CHOCOLATE AND ORANGE SHORT CRUST
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, butter, and salt in a bowl of a stand mixer with paddle. Mix on speeds 1-2 until the mixture comes together. Add the vanilla and orange zest.
- Press the dough evenly into the tart pan and the fluted edges. Chill until firm.
- Preheat oven 375°.
- Line the pan with foil and bake for 15 minutes. The baked dough may puff up, press down with the back of a spoon or spatula. Let cool.
BLOOD ORANGE CURD
- Combine the juices, zest and reserve.
- Whisk the yolks, whole eggs and sugar in a non-reactive bowl that will sit over a pot of simmering water to create a bain marie or double boiler.
- Continue to whisk the mixture over simmering water until thick and lighter in color. Add 1/3 of the fruit juice. Whisk until it begins to thicken then add the remaining 2/3 juice continuing to whisk constantly. The curd must be quite thick and have absorbed all of the foam and the whisk will leave a trail at the bottom of the bowl. Off the heat whisk in the butter until blended.
- Pour into the baked crust or chill the curd in the refrigerator and finish the tart the following day. The curd holds overnight covered, then fill the crust several hours before serving.
CRÈME FRAÎCHE TOPPING
- Combine the crème fraîche, lemon zest and sugar. Whip until light and fluffy. Spread over the top of the tart before serving.