- 240 ml salsa, store-bought or homemade, divided
- 450. extra-lean ground turkey (see notes)
- 1 bag romaine or greens/lettuce of choice
- 150g shredded cheese (I use Mexican blend cheese, Cheddar, or pepper Jack)
- Small bag tortilla chips
1. Pour 1/2 of the salsa into a large skillet. Add the ground turkey and cook on high heat, breaking it up as it cooks, for 15 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through.
2. Place the lettuce in a large bowl or four small bowls.
3. When the turkey is done, spoon on top of the lettuce, pour the remaining salsa on top of the turkey, then add the cheese and tortilla chips (I like to crush some of the tortilla chips).
4. Mix the salad
Instead of using ground turkey, you could make salsa slow cooker chicken as a topping: Simply put 450g of chicken breast in a slow cooker and cover it with half of the salsa and a pinch of salt. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, then shred when done. This salad is good served with either warm or cold cooked ground turkey. If making this salad for eating at a later time, just cook the ground turkey and salsa and store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use. You could use a number of add-ins with this salad; for example, a dollop of sour cream or some olives