- 2 to 2½ pounds of bones from free-range, pastured chickens*
- 1 carrot, peeled if not organic, chopped into thirds
- 1 rib of celery, chopped into thirds
- 1 small shallot (preferably organic), unpeeled and halved
- Green trimmings from 1 leek, if you have them
- 1 bay leaf (fresh or dried is fine)
- 1 sprig of fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Put the chicken bones in the Instant Pot. Rinse the vegetables and herbs and put them on top of the chicken bones, then add the salt and pepper. Pour in cool water to reach the 10-cup line.
- Set the Instant Pot valve to “Sealed”. Put on and lock the lid. Press the “Manual” button and then use the up arrow to increase the time to 60 minutes. The program will begin ten seconds after you finish pushing the buttons.
- Once the cooking time is over, press “Keep Warm/Cancel”. Move the valve to “Venting” to release pressure quickly or allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove the lid and let the stock cool for a few minutes, and then strain into heatproof containers. Enjoy right away, refrigerate for up to 3-4 days, or freeze for later.**