- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2medium onions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 18-ounce bar cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1cup sour cream
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- thick-cut potato and vegetable chips, for serving
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the onions, cream cheese, sour cream, chives, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Serve with the chips.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced paper thin (about 4 cups)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat until foaming.
- 2Add the onions, and let them cook, stirring rarely, until they are deep golden brown and caramelized, about 45 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper, remove from the pan, and let cool.