For the pancakes
- 3 T coconut flour, sifted
- 1 T gluten free flour (or oat flour or oat bran)
- 1 standard scoop of vanilla or cinnamon protein powder (optional)
- 2 tsp Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 T granulated sweetener of choice
- 3 large egg whites*
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4-1/2 cup almond breeze almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Oil/Cooking spray for frying
For the cream cheese frosting
- 2 T cream cheese, softened**
- 1 T + sweetener of choice (adjust to taste)
- pinch Saigon cinnamon (adjust to taste)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sifted coconut flour, gluten free flour, baking powder, natvia natural sweetener, cinnamon and protein powder if using it. Mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and vanilla extract and add it to the dry mixture. Slowly, add the almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time until a thick batter is formed.
- Heat a frying pan on low heat and spray with cooking oil. Once pan is extremely hot, pour spoonfuls of the batter and then cover the pan. Once bubbles appear and the edges go brown, remove cover, flip the pancakes and cover again for approximately 1 minute. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened cream cheese with the sweetener and cinnamon and mix well. Layer pancakes evenly with the frosting and dust with extra cinnamon.
- Do not add any sweetener to the pancake batter if using a sweetened protein powder.
- Use less liquid if you omit the protein powder.
- For a vegan version, sub for 1 flax egg
- For a vegan version, sub for dairy free cream cheese!