- 3 small (1¼ pounds) eggplants, stems removed, flesh sliced in ¼-inch rounds
- 4 medium (1 pound) tomatoes, sliced in ¼-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup, plus 2 tablespoons, olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
2. In a 9-inch gratin dish, arrange the vegetables while tucking small crumbles of goat cheese underneath each vegetable. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the shingled vegetables and sprinkle the panko on top. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake the gratin until it is tender and golden brown, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Serve hot and directly out of the baking dish.