- 10 ounces fresh or canned green jackfruit, cleaned
- 1½ teaspoons ground turmeric, divided
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced onion, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon minced serrano chile
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves, roughly torn
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped toasted almonds
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced cilantro
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 16 small flour tortillas
- Julienned red Thai chile, for garnish
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish
- 16 potato papads, julienned and fried according to package instructions
1. In a medium bowl, toss the jackfruit with ½ teaspoon each of the turmeric and chile powder, and salt to coat.
2. In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the jackfruit and cook, stirring often, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the jackfruit to a bowl to cool, then shred.
3. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the onions, ginger, garlic, chile, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Cook until the onions have softened, 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of the ground turmeric and ½ teaspoon of the chile powder with the water, tomatoes, cumin and coriander. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the shredded jackfruit to the pan, along with the tamarind paste. Cook until most of the water is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the almonds, lime juice, cilantro and garam masala.
5. Using a 3-inch ring cutter, cut out circles from the tortillas to form mini tacos. Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling onto each tortilla round. Garnish with minced onions, Thai chiles, grated Parmesan and fried papads, then serve.