- 1½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. In a medium saucepan set over high heat, add the water, brown sugar, salt and butter. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Whisk in the flour until a smooth paste forms, switching to a wooden spoon as the mixture thickens. Continue to stir until the dough comes together into a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the dough. Mix on medium-high speed until the dough stops steaming, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until each is combined before adding the next. Add the vanilla and continue mixing until the dough is smooth.
3. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside. To a medium saucepan set over medium heat, add enough oil to fill the pan halfway. Bring the oil to 350°. Use a rubber spatula to transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a small star tip (we used size #864) and, holding the bag above the hot oil, pipe the dough into the oil in 6-inch strips (use your finger or a knife to separate the dough from the tip). Add just enough dough at a time so the pieces fry without touching. Fry until the churros are golden, using a frying spider or slotted spoon to turn halfway through frying, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the churros to the paper towel-lined baking sheet.
4. To a large bowl, add the granulated sugar and cinnamon and mix to combine. Toss the hot churros in the cinnamon sugar and set aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining dough until all the churros are made. Serve warm.
Make ahead: The dough can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day before frying. Bring the dough back to room temperature before frying.
Storing: Though they are best served warm, the churros can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.